In 1969, Beloit Memorial’s very own Lamont Weaver hit a 55 foot shot at the buzzer during the State Championship game. His infamous shot led the Beloit Memorial Purple Knights into overtime and eventually the team won the State title against Neenah WI. “The Shot Heard Round the State” was a historical moment that has not been forgotten! 1969 was the year that our nation faced many challenges. Many people were protesting the Vietnam war as the draft lottery was developed. Muhammad Ali was stripped of his fighting license and title for refusing the draft. President Nixon signs the bill to give 18-year olds the right to vote.
As a nation, we have always had a passion for sports. The greatest social movements within our nation have always been led by the youth. 2019 will prove to be no different. Our current political climate undoubtedly promotes that many young voters will turn out in droves as they demand the United States to uphold its promises. The world of sports will continue to see athletes speak out against the injustices that plague our great nation. What we need is wake-up call, a SHOUT! A shout so loud that it calls the nation to listen to the young athletes of our state and come together to Bridge and Build not only in Wisconsin but our nation as a whole.
Tasha Bell, Beloit Schools, Equity Coordinator
Bridge and Build uses sports as a hook
- To share experiences and life while recognizing and respecting other cultures, races, traditions, regions and beliefs
- To build their skills in servant leadership, entrepreneurship, financial literacy and life to fully participate in commerce and community
And so….in the 50th anniversary year of the historic Beloit-Neenah championship basketball game
- Youth of all ages, abilities, races, genders symbolically dribble a message to Madison
- Youth from Beloit, Neenah, Milwaukee actually dribble to Madison – a school-to-school relay
- Youth gather in Madison for: United in Wisconsin Day
- A never-seen-before basketball game with students from across the state
- Students teach financial literacy, entrepreneurship, servant leadership, investment
- Students lead conversations about diversity and community
- Students use social media to create community
Proof of concept video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mBpiDR_KI4&feature=youtu.be
Strategic plan video: https://bridgeandbuild.com/vision-planning/